202109-Q2-(iii)

Discussion in 'CM1' started by ykai, Mar 24, 2023.

1. ykai

ykai Ton up Member

A couple are buying a house and have taken out a special ‘First-time buyer’ mortgage,
    which allows for lower payments in the earlier years.
    The mortgage, of £300,000, has a term of 30 years. For the first 6 months, no
    repayments are made, although interest still accrues on the loan. Interest-only
    repayments are due from this point until the end of the third year. After the end of the
    third year, and up to the end of the term, level repayments are due, set at a level such
    that the mortgage will be repaid in full at the end of the 30-year term.
    All repayments are made monthly in arrears. Interest is charged at an effective rate of
    4.5% p.a.
    (i) Calculate the amount of each monthly repayment, without using a scenario
    solving tool such as Goal Seek or Solver.
    (ii) Construct the loan schedule for the mortgage.
    The conditions of the loan permit borrowers to make additional payments in order to
    reduce the term of the mortgage. These additional payments can be made once each
    year, excluding the first year, subject to a maximum of 10% of the outstanding capital
    amount, as determined at the beginning of each year of payment. The original
    repayments, including the repayments in the first 3 years, will not change but the term
    of the mortgage will reduce.
    The original repayment schedule will remain unchanged except for the term.
    The couple decide to make additional payments to reduce the term of the mortgage as
    much as possible.
    (iii) Determine the shortest possible term that can be achieved in this way.

Are additional payments deducted before calculating interest? or I missed some condition?

2. Joe Hook

Joe Hook ActEd Tutor Staff Member

Hi,

Apologies if I am misunderstanding your query but yes any additional payments made will reduce the amount of the loan outstanding and therefore the interest that is due on that loan. This is true of any loan, and so the examiners have not specified this in the question.

Joe

ykai likes this.
  3. ykai

ykai Ton up Member

Thanks for your reply, I understand.

4. ykai

ykai Ton up Member

Could you tell me the logic of this answer?I can't understand D10:F18 of Q2(iii)a.
    https://www.acted.co.uk/forums/index.php?threads/2022-paper-b-q2-iii.19148/