April 2007 Qu.1(iv)

Discussion in 'SA3' started by ActEdStudent, Mar 29, 2008.

1. ActEdStudent

ActEdStudent Member

Could I check how you calculate that the policy change will affect 12.5% of claims? Thanks.

2. NeedToQualify

NeedToQualify Member

claims incurred in the year come from policies written in the previous and the current year.

If our total exposure is 2 units:
    1 unit from policies written in the previous year
    1 unit from policies written in this year

we have 1/4 unit under the new cover:
    On average claims under new cover occur middle of new cover period.

therefore 1/4 divided by 2 units is 1/8

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 31, 2008
  3. moomanoid

moomanoid Member

This was a tricky question, which would have been much clearer in the report if the examiners had done a table or something.

Interestingly the examiners report says "Many candidates attempted to
    adjust the 2003 and prior years’ incurred claims to put them on a constant basis, rather than
    adjusting the later years."

This was the approach I took and I thought (perhaps mistakenly) that this was the standard procedure.

I.e. you start with older years and 'roll forward' the loss ratios by multiplying up by inflation and dividing through by claims inflation.

e.g. 07 LR = 06 (1+inflation)/(1+rate change)

Hence in this question we needed to adjust the results from 03 and prior to find out 'what would have happened if the cover had been different' in this case we needed to adjust the 03 and prior by decreasing the loss ratios by a suitable amount to take into account the stronger terms and conditions

This is the opposite of what the examiners did.

Also the examiners calculated claims incurred then a loss ratio. I just worked with loss ratios directly, is there a reason for calculating claims incurred amounts, just appears to be extra work!

anyone have any thoughts?

i would hope in the exam that examiners would give people good marks for any sensible approach.

4. Ian Senator

Ian Senator ActEd Tutor Staff Member

5. Dar_Shan0209

Dar_Shan0209 Ton up Member

Hi @Ian Senator
    I've hit the wall regarding this question and the above link you shared seems not to be available. Can you please advise how can I access the same?

6. Ian Senator

Ian Senator ActEd Tutor Staff Member