April 2013 Exam

Discussion in 'SP7' started by Indy007, Apr 30, 2013.

1. Indy007

Indy007 Member

So how did everyone find that exam?

I thought it was very tricky. I struggled with the triangulation question and the one about the over-dispersed poisson and bootstrapping.

I did however find that the last question about investment strategy might have been more at home in a CA1 exam. So given that I had sat CA1 a few days earlier I hope I did okay in that question!

2. Entact30

Entact30 Member

I thought it was a strange paper but I was sitting this exam with ST8 and hadn't done as much work for ST7 so I was quite happy there was't a lot of easy bookwork. I liked the unusually heavy focus on investments.

The paper is up on the website now (http://www.actuaries.org.uk/students/pages/past-exam-papers). Question 7 was very tough to come up with sufficient points. I would imagine most would agree. I also didn't like the accounting question.

The products question was handy enough but would agree that I didn't have much to say on the boostrapping question. Questions 1, 3, 6 & 8 were the most manageable for me. I'm not too optimisitic but there is a small chance.