April 2016 Q5 - Performance Attribution

Discussion in 'SP5' started by GeorgeFS, Apr 5, 2024.

1. GeorgeFS

GeorgeFS Keen member

Hi,

I'm a little stuck with April 2016 Q5 which is a performance attribution question. There are a couple of places I'm struggling with:

I am able to get the figure of 8.01% for the Fund return in 2012/13, but I can't seem to match the 11.50% for Fund Return in 2013/14 (I'm getting a figure of 11.60%).

To calculate Fund returns, for each asset I have calculated: (Start Price 2013 / Start Price 2012 - 1) * Holding %
    ... this gives the actual return for each asset, which I've then summed to give my actual return for the year
    ... as above this gives me the correct answer for 2012/13, but not for 2013/14 when I use the 2013/14 start prices.

To calculate Benchmark returns, for each asset I have calculated: (Start Price 2013 / Start Price 2012 - 1) * 10%
    ... multiplying by 10% as the benchmark assumes equal weighting in the 10 asset classes.
    ... then sum the benchmark returns for each asset class to give the total benchmark return over the year.
    ... when I do this I get 4.86% and 13.29% for 2012/13 and 2013/14 respectively.
    ... what am I doing wrong here?

For parts (ii) and (iii) we are asked to calculate stock selection performance and sector selection performance.
    ... ordinarily, I would look to set up a Actual/Notional portfolio, consisting of actual weightings (ie the holding % column) and benchmark returns
    ... however, that would just equal the Fund return, since the benchmark returns are the same (use the same start prices).

I've tried using the formulae below, but that also doesn't get me to the correct answer:

Stock Selection = Actual Weight x (Actual Return - Benchmark Return)
    Sector Selection = (Actual Weight - Benchmark Wegiht) x (Benmark return on asset - Overall benchmark return)

... feels like I'm missing something here with respect of how the benchmark is calculated.

Any help would be great, thanks!

2. Colin McKee

Colin McKee ActEd Tutor Staff Member

GeorgeFS likes this.