Chapter 13, q 13.24

Discussion in 'SP7' started by 12345, Sep 10, 2011.

1. 12345

12345 Member

Hi all,

Quick q, can someone explain how the answer of 94 for the O/S claims is reached here in the B.F method [part (iii)]? A worked run through would be most helpful, I can't seem to match it for some reason?

Thanks in advance

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 10, 2011
  2. Katherine Young

Katherine Young ActEd Tutor Staff Member

Hello 12345,

You have spotted a small error in the calculations shown in the Course Notes. Well done! I shall post a correction on the website.

Have a look at the attached spreadsheet, which shows the BF calculations in detail. I have shown you two methods for calculating the BF estimates:

The first method follows the description provided on page 49 of Chapter 13. (I tend to think this is the easier method.)

The second method on the attached spreadsheet follows the "Actual vs Expected" approach described on pages 50-51 of Chapter 13.

Notice, they both give the same estimates.

Good luck!

Katherine.

Attached Files:

3. 12345

12345 Member

Thanks Katherine, that's a relief I thought I was losing the plot! Do I win a prize?!

4. Katherine Young

Katherine Young ActEd Tutor Staff Member

The unbridled admiration of your peers! :)

5. 12345

12345 Member

I would have preferred a cash equivalent, but it'll do :)

6. Bihac

Bihac Member

Hi Katherine

I've never met the Bornhuetter-Ferguson method before (I got an exemption from CT6), so I struggled with this question in the notes. Please could you explain how to calculate the "Factors to ultimate" part of your worked solution.

As an aside, do you think it would it be worth me buying the CT6 revision booklet to cement my background knowledge?

Many thanks.

7. jollyfakey

jollyfakey Member

Bihac,

This may not be an answer to your question but i am just curious on how you got an exemption from CT6 without ever coming across the BF method. Well, if your are studying for ST7, you may need to brush up the notes especially on reserving methods.

To answer your question, the factors to ultimate are calculated by 'cummulatively' (for lack of another word) multiplying the development factors.

E.g. from the example refered to, it is calculated as such:

1.0014= 1*1.0014
    1.0847 = 1.0014(previous answer) * 1.0832 (next DF)
    1.3531 = 1.0847(previous answer) * 1.2474(next DF)

You can try the last one.

8. Bihac

Bihac Member

Thanks - much appreciated

I did an actuarial science degree but the lecturers swapped each year and pretty much taught what they want. I guess the Institute are willing to grant acredition status to a degree course if it covers say 90% of material - just bad luck that BF method was in the other 10%.