Electronic copies of course notes

Discussion in 'General study / exams' started by RobWat, Feb 28, 2007.

?

Do you think ActEd should provide electronic copies of the course notes?

1. Yes

80 vote(s)
    80.0%
  2. No

20 vote(s)
    20.0%
  1. jensen

jensen Member

Thanks Calum

I found this document from Acted website which explains how the ebook format works.

Hope this sheds more light to most of us new to this.

2. StephM

StephM Member

Does anyone know if we can get the £20 + VAT eBook when we purchase a reduced rate CMP for retakers?

I have old versions of ST2 & ST4 and have just looked at the CMP upgrade (ST4 is 125 pages) so I'm thinking I will probably just purchase the reduced rate CMP for retakers - however I'd also like the eBooks!

Steph

3. Admin

Admin Administrator Staff Member

Yes you can, as long as you've purchased the CMP (at any rate) in the same academic year, ie leading up to the 2012 exams this year.

Or you could buy the e-book at the retaker rate and print off chapters that have changed a lot.

AE

4. MathsPar

MathsPar Member

Is it likely they'll have a Kindle compatible version in the next year?

5. Admin

Admin Administrator Staff Member

I think it's very unlikely within a year.
    BPP are currently investigating alternative e-book platforms and so anything is possible, but realistically I think we're quite a way from releasing something for a Kindle.
    Sorry!

6. Talking about DRM

I have sound revision and am having trouble copying the CD to my PC (so that I can then stick it on my phone to listen to on the tube!).

I keep getting an error message about DRM rights. Did anybody else have this issue? Is there a painless way around it?

7. Indy007

Indy007 Member

Suggestion

Apologies if this isn't the right place to put this in, but I wasn't sure where I could make suggestions.

I'm currently using the electronic version of the notes on an ipad and am finding it a little frustrating flicking back and forth between the questions and answers within the main body of the notes.

I notice that the notes do include hyperlinks between different chapters. For example, the notes might say "this is discussed in greater detail in Chapter 12" with a hyperink that takes you to chapter 12.

Would it be possible for the notes to include a link that allows:
    a) the user to go from the question to the answer
    b) the user to go back from the answer to the appropriate section in the notes?

Thanks
    Indy

8. Lynn Birchall

Lynn Birchall ActEd Tutor Staff Member

Hi Indy

Thanks very much for the suggestion. Must admit, I find moving between questions and solutions the most frustrating part about using the notes on an iPad too.

We are looking into how best to adapt our paper notes so that readers can make best use of them in eBook format and navigating around is definitely one of the things we are hoping to improve!

Thanks
    Lynn

9. scott75

scott75 Member

I have a kindle fire and have all my acted ebooks on it. I have been doing this since the kindle fire came out. I didnt realise that the license was not for kindle am I breaking any of the license rules?

The ebook reader app I am using is the standard aldiko app.

I find the screen a bit small but as I travel a lot for work it is easier than carting around notes and easier to read on planes

10. Lynn Birchall

Hi scott

Good to hear you're using them successfully on the Kindle Fire. No, you're not breaking any rules. :)

We'd be very grateful if you could give us any feedback on getting the ebooks onto the Kindle Fire. More info here:

http://www.acted.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=7321

Best wishes
    Lynn

11. Lynn Birchall

Some good news for anyone ordering CMPs or Course Notes ebooks for the 2014 exams:

It is now easy to jump between questions and solutions in the ebooks (both the self-assessment questions in the Notes and between Questions and Answers in the Q&A Bank).

Simply click on the highlighted Question number to get to the solution ...
    ... and click on the highlighted Solution number to get back to the question.

Thank you to everyone who gave us feedback about this. Hope you find this improvement helps!

Lynn

12. morrisja

morrisja Member

What's the situation with using the electronic copies of the notes on android devices? I have electronic copies of course notes on my laptop but it would be handier to have them on a tablet..

13. jensen

jensen Member

They might be concerned about preventing candidates from bringing the notes with them into the exam center.

14. Lynn Birchall

Hi

You should be able to use them on your android device. (There's a list of supported devices here - http://blogs.adobe.com/digitalpublishing/supported-devices - although it's not the most user-friendly list!)

The basic process to do this is:

1. Download the Bluefire Reader app on your device (it's free) .
    2. "Authorise" the app with the Adobe user ID you created before downloading the notes to your laptop.
    3. Sync or copy the notes from your laptop to your android device. A handy unofficial shortcut for doing this is to forward the email with the ebook token to your device. If you then click on the token link, the notes should automatically download and appear in Bluefire Reader.

There are more details here: http://www.acted.co.uk/Docs/2012/eBook/eBooks - Technical information and FAQs.pdf

Best wishes
    Lynn

15. morrisja

morrisja Member

I've got it working on an android tablet now using the Bluefire Reader app.. much handier for travelling than a laptop.

Thanks for the help!

16. Lynn Birchall

Pleasure!

Glad to hear you've got it working. Hope the studying goes well :)

Lynn

17. DanielZ

DanielZ Member

electonic copy of Formulae and Tables

Hi all

Is it possible to download an electronic copy of the Formulae and Tables (2nd ed)?

Dan

18. John Lee

John Lee ActEd Tutor Staff Member

That's issued by the Profession so you need to talk to them about it.

As far as I am aware they only have the first edition as a PDF somewhere and don't currently offer the 2nd edition as electronic format. Though it is going to be available as a PDF in the exam for CAA students....

19. DanielZ

DanielZ Member

I did email them about it but haven't had a reply yet.

I think it would be useful to have a pdf copy... my faithful orange book is beginning to look a bit battered

20. DanielZ

DanielZ Member

Electronic copy of the Formulae and Tables

They replied and said no...

21. John Lee

John Lee ActEd Tutor Staff Member

:(

Sad news...