length structure of answers

Discussion in 'SA3' started by Sivapriya K, Feb 6, 2024.

1. Sivapriya K

Sivapriya K Member

I was solving the recent exam papers. I observed the examiner's report solution are not so lengthy or detailed. I do understand we need to consider the command verbs and the marks available. However, I observed the level of detail are different in the solution for the same command verbs for almost equal marks. For example, if I consider the questions using command verb "Outline", I observed the solution is long (1/2 mark each) for question 3 v) and short (though 1 mark each) for question 2 (ii) in September 2021 examiner's report. I afraid I am missing something here.

Can someone please throw light for me?

2. Katherine Young

Katherine Young ActEd Tutor Staff Member

That's a tricky question Sivapriya. Yes the command verb should 'in theory' give a hint as to how much to write, but I suspect that in practice these hints are not very useful, particularly for SA3.

I recommend you don't read too much into these command verbs. I always think it's a dangerous game to worry about which points will score 1/2 mark and which will score a whole mark. The safest thing to do would be to assume 1/2 mark for each point you make, while prioritising the areas you think are most important.

3. Ian Senator

Ian Senator ActEd Tutor Staff Member

Also, I just want to add a little extra to what Katherine says above.

The examiners' report is not necessary exactly what the examiners are looking for in terms of detail when marking the script. For example, the point in the report may be a concise summary of the issue that the examiner is looking for, and for full marks you may have to say a little more (particularly for a 'describe' question or similar). If a whole mark is available, they may be looking for a little more depth than is indicated in the examiners' report, particularly if the point to be made is relatively straightforward. Secondly, some points are more difficult to make than others and might be awarded a full mark, whereas easier points will typically be half a mark. So there's a bit of a balancing act between a long easy point and a short difficult point, if you see what I mean!

Sometimes it can be a bit hit and miss whether something will get 1/2 or 1 and often it depends on how candidates perform across the board as to whether 1/2 or 1 will be available. So, as Katherine says, don't read too much into any perceived inconsistencies.

4. Sivapriya K

Sivapriya K Member

Thanks for the detailed response. Gives more clarity.

Thanks, Katherine and Ian!