Memo format

Discussion in 'CA3' started by Snowy, Mar 17, 2010.

1. Snowy

Snowy Member

Hi,
    On a recent assignment, the marker suggested that memos should not have a greeting at the start (eg John, or Dear John) and should not have a sign-off either (eg Regards, John).
    I lost marks for this.

On other assignments, the marker did not comment on the greeting or sign-off for the memo. I didn't lose marks for the greeting or sign-off here.

Marks are lost for incorrect structures - so I wanted to make sure that I have the correct format.

How do we know when to use a greeting and sign-off for memo, if at all?

2. capitalH

capitalH Member

Do you have the ActEd notes? I do not have it with me, but if I recall correctly, I remember that they discussed the structures including if it should have a greeting. Maybe also look at previous exam solutions (as this will give you an idea what the markers will look at).

At work (which does not mean it is fine for the exam), I use a greeting if I address a memo to a single person, otherwise not (then I would only have a To: list). This is though, so I usually don't.

3. Busy_Bee4422

Busy_Bee4422 Ton up Member

Hie Snowy

The examiners reports which have memos all have a signing off. None of them begins Dear .... The latest example would be September 2009 question 2. I follow examiners reports as best practice for passing the exam.

4. bystander

bystander Member

As a basic I'd say use:

To:

then its not necessary to repeat the name when you start.

I'd definitely sign the work - remember not to sign your own name.

You'd only lose a mark so I doubt it will make or break whether you pass/fail.

5. Ryan

Ryan Member

I actually came up to post the same question, and I am hoping that an ActEd tutor could confirm this for us.

The following is the list of previous exams which tested on memo and the corresponding examier's solution:
    Sept 06 Que1: No greetings, no sign-off
    Sept 07 Que2: No greetings, with sign-off (Date at the right hand side?)
    Sept 08 Que2: No greetings, with sign-off (Doesn't have a date)
    April 09 Que1: With greetings, with sign-off
    April 09 Que2: No greetings, with sign-off (Doesn't have a date)
    Sept 09 Que2: No greetings, with sign-off

Further, Q&A bank que 3.3 has this reviewer's comment that states very specifically that the greetings should be 'John' without a salutation. (ASET has its share of inconsistencies. April 09 with greeting and sign-off, Sept 09 w/o both)

Since emails have very similar format with memo's, I would also like to know the correct format for email. Thank you.

p/s: I sincerely do not think it is just one mark. And why should I lose these marks?

6. David Wilmot

David Wilmot ActEd Tutor Staff Member

I agree with bystander. To avoid losing marks you must state both a To and a From.

With regard to an informal greeting and sign-off in a memo, the situation becomes subject to personal preference. This is why the solutions are inconsistent in their approach.

I apologise if you are getting inconsistent advice from markers on this point. I will brief them with an aim of avoiding this in future.

I do not believe you would lose marks in the exam by including both, even if the examiner's solution does not. This is the approach I would recommend you take.

With regard to emails, their format should be the same as a memo. Depending upon the situation, their tone and language might be less formal than a memo. The distinction is slight and, personally, I wouldn't put any effort into making any distinction.

The number of marks at stake here (in terms of format) is small. Your main concern should be producing a communication that covers the relevant concepts and which will be understood by the specific audience.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2010
  7. Ryan

Ryan Member

Thanks for the confirmation, David.