October 2015 UK paper

Discussion in 'SP7' started by baidshryans, Mar 14, 2017.

Tags:
  1. baidshryans

baidshryans Member

In Q7, i cannot understand what is the need to apply adjustment to the incurred amounts?

Also, what logic has been used to arrive at the adjusted incurred amounts?

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  2. Pede

Pede Member

The rough explanations are given above the table of figures. Not sure which figures you've having problems with? It's all covered in ASET, worth buying that.

3. baidshryans

baidshryans Member

I already have the ASETs however, i still dont understand how the ADJUSTED INCURRED figures in the ASETs have been calculated?
    Why do we need to calculate the adjusted incurred?

4. Darren Michaels

Darren Michaels ActEd Tutor Staff Member

We need to adjust the incurred claims information given so that they are all on a "level playing field"in terms of exposure, so that we can calculate a reporting pattern for the incurred claims.

At the moment, the amount of exposure at each month of delay is different, so we need to "gross" up the incurred claims at delays greater than one so that they are all based on the same amount of exposure. We do this by ratioing up the incurred claims in proportion to the amount of earned premium at each delay month relative to the earned premium at one month of delay.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2017
  5. baidshryans

baidshryans Member

Thank you for the reply Darren.

However, could you help me understand where I am going wrong in thinking
    16.25 * 90 % is expected loss
    The total incurred amount is 10m, summing up the incurreds.
    Hence pure IBNR 14.625 - 10 = 4.625m

6. Darren Michaels

Darren Michaels ActEd Tutor Staff Member

Hi there

The problem is that the exposure which has generated the 16.25m of earned premium is not all at the same stage of development and some will be more developed than others, which means that it will be at a different percentage reported.

For example, 2.5m of the earned premium is from exposure that is only 1 month developed at the end of the year, 2.29m is from exposure that is 2 months developed, 2.08m from exposure that is three months developed and so on.

You need to use the adjusted incurred claims data (as mentioned above) to work out what stage of development, in terms of percentage reported, each month is at the year end.

You can then apply one minus this percentage to the estimated ultimate claims from earned exposures to estimate the ultimate
    earned but unreported claims.

The calculation is set out in detail in the ASET.