Practice Question 26.4

Discussion in 'SP7' started by David, Mar 8, 2024.

1. David

David Keen member

Hi

I am stuck at the first hurdle on this question. I feel like i'm missing something straightforward here as the solution just states the tables without showing any calculations, but I cant understand how we derive the "exposure units" given for Years 1 & 2.

The solutions says: Exposure Unit of a Month = (# Policies exposed in that month) * (Likelihood of a claim)

So take for example March. By the end of March, 300 policies will have been sold ==> 300 policies are exposed. The solution shows that the exposure unit for March is 3. Therefore from the formula above I can conclude that the likelihood of a claim in March is 0.01 (and 0.02 for those months that the question says have double the claim frequency).

I am unsure where to get this 0.01 figure from however, without working backwards from the solution given.

I would appreciate your help is solving this!

2. Ian Senator

Ian Senator ActEd Tutor Staff Member

More straightforward than that! These are all 'units'.

January: 1 policy sold, at double frequency (risk), so 2 units.
    February: 1 policy sold at double frequency (2 units) plus the 2 units from the policy sold in January. Total 4.
    March: 1 policy sold at single frequency (1 unit), plus the unit from the policy sold in Jan plus that in Feb. Total 3.
    Etc.

David likes this.