Sept 2017 Q7 ii

Discussion in 'SP7' started by Laura, Feb 23, 2024.

1. Laura

Laura Very Active Member

Hi everyone,

I'm not sure how I can obtain the revised % developed and CDF.

These are the steps I'm taking and please let me know where I've gone wrong:-
    1. Estimate independent ultimate based on IELR
    2. Take incurred claim as a proportion of the independent estimate. This will be the % developed
    3. Assume that youngest year is half as developed as y1 factor. So divide 22% by 2 = 11%
    4. Then assuming that claim development is uniform between development years. I take the average of 22% and 41% which gives me 31%. (22% and 41% are the % developed for years 2016 and 2017 respectively). However, this does not tally with 34.7% in the solutions.

Any advice would really be appreciated, thanks for your help in advance!

2. Katherine Young

Katherine Young ActEd Tutor Staff Member

The percentage developed is derived from the chain ladder method, not the IELR. So calculate the set of 1/CDF, then interpolate these to obtain the corresponding development pattern at 30th June.

3. Laura

Laura Very Active Member

thanks very much for your quick response.

The steps I'm taking now is as follows and please let me know where I've gone wrong:-
    1. Assume that youngest year is half as developed as y1 factor. So divide CDF of 4.55 by 2 = 2.28
    2. Then assuming that claim development is uniform between development years. I take the average of 4.55 and 2.11 which gives me 3.33. (4.55 and 2.11 are the CDFs for years 1 and 2respectively). I do the same for the remaining CDFs
    3. Then develop incurred claims to ultimate and determine the % developed

However, I still can't seem to get the correct % developed by following the above approach and any insights would really be helpful

Thanks in advance for your help!

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 27, 2024
  4. Katherine Young

Katherine Young ActEd Tutor Staff Member

Ah I see what you're doing Laura. It's the % developed that you need to interpolate, not the CDFs.

5. Laura

Laura Very Active Member

Thanks! With your help i've managed to obtain the revised CDFs.

However, I'm now stuck at obtaining both the UY ULR and AY ULR. Would you be able to guide me on these?

Appreciate your advice and thanks in advance for your help!

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 27, 2024
  6. Darren Michaels

Darren Michaels ActEd Tutor Staff Member

To calculate the UY ULR, you need to apply the BF method using the interpolated June pattern. You then need to make some sensible assumptions to convert your written premiums and BF estimated ultimate claims from an underwriting year to an accident year basis.
    This is covered in full detail in the 2014-17 ASET, so you may wish to purchase that if you need some more help with the calculation.

Katherine Young likes this.