So what exactly would happen if i wrote an exam in pencil?

Discussion in 'General study / exams' started by DevonMatthews, May 16, 2010.

1. DevonMatthews

DevonMatthews Member

Even if I had a few marks deducted for this, would it really matter if I was over the pass mark? Surely a borderline candidate cannot be failed because they wrote the exam in pencil.. Has anyone ever done this?

2. Busy_Bee4422

Busy_Bee4422 Ton up Member

Is this a random question or it did happen in the exam? If it did was there any asking for help from the invigilators?

I would think that since we have to apply guidance notes as part of our work following exam guidelines to write in pen would not be questioned. A pencil may prove to be difficult to read as the tip gets less sharp(clutch pencil maybe). Also I think most of us used pencils as a primary writing tool in our lower primary school so why use it? Only under the event that the student had a pen failure in exam and the invigilators could not assist would I think that this would be a possibility for consideration. It would certainly be pushing it in my book. I am dead certain for A-levels if your pen(s) failed u failed as well.

3. DevonMatthews

DevonMatthews Member

It didn't happen to me in the exam, but last exam i did some guy got told off by an invigilator for writing in pencil, so i was wondering what would happen? I feel writing in pencil would offer significant advantages due to the erasing capabilities graphite offers over ink. Also they seem to be much more precise and most clutch pencils come with nice rubber grips as well.

4. hnhkate

hnhkate Member

I think if you write in pencil it brings your answers into question as a marker could erase what you have written and write something else instead (correct or incorrect!). With pen it is much harder to change any answers without anyone being able to see it has been changed.

I can't imagine anyone would try and change your answers but if the papers were ever investigated then it would be hard to prove that nothing had been changed if written in pencil.

Thats what I was told at A-Level anyway and I assume it is the same reason here.

5. Busy_Bee4422

Busy_Bee4422 Ton up Member

I remember reading the process on examination marking. I understand that the exam script is photocopied before marking. The photocopied scripts are then marked. That is why they don't want us to write in the light inks. I also seem to remember that those who participated in exam counselling saying that they don't see any marks on their scripts. I wouldn't worry about them being changed.

6. jashworth

jashworth Member

Hi,

Some years ago I did use pencil in an exam. It was a number crunching company accounting type question in the old Economics paper. I used pencil so I could change things if I had made a mistake and the numbers didn't work out. In the end I never did review my answer and I left everything in pencil. I did pass the exam though.

I did read something, somewhere recently that said pencil cannot be used in the Institute exams. I think it was on the Institute's website.

7. hnhkate

hnhkate Member

I'm sure they do photocopy the scripts but it doesn't stop them being changed before photocopying.