ST7 General Questions before getting started

Discussion in 'SP7' started by tatos, Apr 18, 2013.

1. tatos

tatos Member

Hi there, I have two basic questions before I get started with this course:

1. I work in GI, but I don't really have any real, solid reserving experience. I've only done some really basic deterministic chain ladder reserving. Are you at a big disadvantage in this subject for having not had any real experience?

2. Do you know any ways to make up for this apart from knowing the notes and examples they have really well?

3. What extra reading is recommended, or what can I start reading apart from the "The Actuary" magazine? I know you need to be aware of current, topical issues, or is this mainly for the SA subject?

Thanks!

2. td290

td290 Member

The thing is, it's easily possible to have had a year or more worth of reserving experience and not really to have done much more than basic data-pushing and number-crunching without really exercising any higher-level skills. So on the whole I would say you might be at a slight disadvantage, but no more than that. I would say this is best overcome by focussing on the Core Reading. You are right that for SA3 you are encouraged to read around the subject although here too my own experience suggests that this is not necessarily good use of time.

3. jensen

jensen Member

Have you tried looking at the past year papers and examiners' reports? You should.